posted Jul 19, 2011, 10:54 AM by Michael Chanak
2. Ohio Supreme Court Rules on Same-Sex Parenting Rights
3. National Hate Crimes Report Released
Support Equality Ohio and become a monthly donor! With an ongoing monthly contribution, you can help Equality Ohio secure and protect equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Ohioans and our families. Your monthly gift will help us keep our issues front and center with elected officials and policymakers, as well as our friends and neighbors.
1. Legislative Update - Equality Ohio is working hard this summer to organize in support of pro-equality legislation.
The Comprehensive Safe Schools Act: A broad coalition of educators and advocates are organizing in support of a stronger anti-bullying law in Ohio that will help protect all of Ohio’s children. (See Amended HB 116, HB 155, HB 208, SB 127) To learn more and support this effort, go to safeschoolsohio.com and sign the petition!
The Equal Housing and Employment Act: The Equal Housing and Employment Act, which would prohibit discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodations based on sexual orientation and gender identity, will be introduced in the Ohio legislature on September 27th. Representatives Nickie Antonio and Ross McGregor will be co-sponsoring the bill. Save the date, and plan to join us that day for a rally and a press conference! We will be asking you to call you legislators to ask them to support this bill, so please keep an eye out for further information and instructions.
2. Ohio Supreme Court Rules on Same-Sex Parenting Rights - On July 12, 2011, the Ohio Supreme Court announced its decision in In re Mullen(Slip Opinion No. 2011-Ohio-3361) and made it more difficult for a non-biological parent in a same-sex relationship to prove permanent shared custody of a child. Although Ohio law allows for shared permanent custody without explicitly requiring a written agreement, the Court’s decision today effectively makes such an agreement a requirement in the event of a breakup, adding additional uncertainty and burden to families of same-sex couples in Ohio. More.
3. National Hate Crimes Report Released - Report shows second highest murder rate ever recorded. Transgender people and people of color are most targeted communities for severe hate violence.
To see the press release click here.
To see the full report click here.
Equality Ohio invites you to join in the celebration of Ohio's youth by supporting Ohio's Anti-Bullying Legislation
July 22, 2011
5:00pm - 7:00pm
La Boca Barrio
5800 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44102
We are moving to bigger space!
Effective July 28, 2011 we are moving next door to 61 Jefferson Ave., Columbus, OH 43215
Pride in August!
Equality Ohio is still looking for volunteers for Youngstown Pride on August 26th and Toledo Pride on August 27th. Emaillee@equalityohio.org if you are interested.
|4. Volunteer Nights@Equality Ohio -We Call It VOL Night - Volunteers On The Lead (VOL)|
Every Thursday night (schedule permitting) from 6-9pm, join us at Equality Ohio's office to support our pro-equality efforts.
Tasks include data entry, phone calls, making signs, conducting research, etc.
For more information email@example.com.
It is time to re-enroll your Kroger Rewards card so the Equality Ohio Education Fund can continue to receive a quarterly check from Kroger! You may re-enroll at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
5. 4th Annual TransOhio Transgender & Ally Symposium Registration is Open!
August 5-7, 2011 at The Ohio State University Student Union
The Keynote Presenter is Ignacio Rivera. Ignacio is a gender queer Trans-Former born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Ignacio, who prefers the gender-neutral pronoun "they", is a performance artist currently performing skits, spoken word, one-person shows and story-telling internationally. Ignacio is a lecturer, activist, new filmmaker and self-proclaimed educator. Ignacio is also one of the founding board members of Queers for Economic Justice.
This year we expect over 250 participants to enjoy more than 70 workshops covering a variety of topics including: Health & Safety; Partners, Spouses & Family; Legal Issues & Employment; Religion & Spirituality; Education & Advocacy and Culture, Media & Arts. This year, we will have a Teen trans and gender non-conforming activity space as well as a Support Group for Transgender, Gender Non-Conforming and Questioning Youth Ages 5-11!
Go to http://transohio.wordpress.com/ to register, view a full list of workshops and seminars, and to learn about our presenters!
| Camp Wellstone Comes to Columbus, Ohio |
As part of the progressive movement's effort to build leadership and power, Camp Wellstone is traveling across the country to train grassroots activists, campaign workers, and candidates. Make plans to join us in Columbus, OH!
>> Camp Wellstone Columbus, OH: August 12-14, 2011<<
Wellstone Action's signature weekend training program provides hands-on, practical training in grassroots politics taught by highly-experienced trainers.
Learn more about Camp Wellstone, or contact Jen Haut-Prokop with questions at (651) 414-6037.
Check out our online training calendarto see our work across the country!
Think green! We encourage you to only print this e-mail if absolutely necessary.
Equality Ohio | 57 Jefferson Ave | Columbus, OH 43215 | 614.224.0400