posted Apr 26, 2011, 8:39 AM by Michael Chanak
Lobby Day for Equality
is May 18, 2011
Make your voice heard at the Statehouse. Over forty new legislators need to hear your story!
|1. Comprehensive Safe Schools Act – Equality Ohio has been working with a broad coalition of organizations from around the state to advocate for the a Comprehensive Safe Schools Act. This Act is an anti-bullying law that would strengthen current state law and provide needed protections to all school children in Ohio, and in particular protect children from bullying or harassment based on actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. |
Ohio's current anti-bullying legislation is deficient in three key areas:
· It does not list or enumerate groups that are disproportionately affected by bullying. Study after study has proven that enumerated policies are significantly more effective than non-enumerated policies at preventing bullying and harassment. Without enumeration, bullying based on actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender identity or expression remains prevalent in schools.
· It does not require school districts to include harassment by electronic means (cyber-bullying), and it fails to specify the school's jurisdiction over cyber-bullying, which often occurs off school grounds.
· It fails to require school districts to provide anti-bullying training to staff and volunteers. In order for policies to be effective, school employees and volunteers must be trained on their legal responsibilities to prevent and respond to bullying.
Recently, bills have been introduced in the House and Senate to address these shortcomings. Click here to see a summary.
Click here to learn more about this important legislation so you can talk to your friends, family and legislators about the need to ensure a safe school environment for ALL children in Ohio.
You can be a part of this important effort:
· Watch for future Action Alerts to contact your legislators about this legislation.
· Join us May 18th on Lobby Day to talk with your legislators about this legislation - Register here
· Contact us at email@example.com if you have a story about bullying or harassment you are willing to share with legislators or the general public.
· Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper adding your own perspective to the reasons we have provided about the need for a Comprehensive Safe Schools Act. We are happy to help you with the drafting and submission process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance and send her a copy of any letter you write.
2. Local Action Team Trainings for Lobby Day for Equality 2011 -
Join us for a Local Action Team Training and get information about the EHEA, the Comprehensive Safe Schools Act (CSSA) and other legislative priorities for this year, learn what progress has been made in the past year with your legislator, and practice and prepare with others from your area in advance of meeting with your representative.Click here to see all the available trainings so you can pick the one that works best for you.
Dare2Care - Unite Against Bullying - Fashion Gala
Date: Sunday, May 1, 2011 - 6:00pm
Location: Old Cuyahoga County Court House, 1 Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44113
The Human Rights Campaign invites you to join in the fight against teen bullying and teen suicide. Please join HRC for their first ever Dare2Care – Unity Against Bullying - HRC Fashion Gala at the Cuyahoga County Courthouse on May 1, 2011: A benefit designed to educate and integrate.More . . .
|3. Gill Foundation invests $25,000 in Equality Ohio through matching gift -In November 2010, Equality Ohio Education Fund was awarded a matching grant of $25,000 from the Gill Foundation. For every new monthly donor to our Equality Council - the leadership giving group of Equality Ohio of $100 or more per month - the Gill Foundation will match the first $500 - more. |Starting April 1, it is time to re-enroll your Kroger Rewards card so the Equality Ohio Education Fund can continue to receive a quarterly check from Kroger! You may re-enroll at: www.krogercommunityrewards.com
4. Clergy Call for Equality - This May 22-24, we encourage you to join HRC’s Religion and Faith Program and hundreds of fellow religious leaders from across the country to build the faithful movement for LGBT justice. Now more than ever we need religious leaders like you to keep equality at the forefront of our nation’s conscience. Sign up now for the 2011 Clergy Call for Justice and Equality in Washington, DC and gather with colleagues from Ohio and beyond to organize, learn, worship and bring your witness for justice to Capitol Hill. Learn more atwww.hrc.org/clergycall.
Think green! We encourage you to only print this e-mail if absolutely necessary.
Receive headlines and links to each HOT NEWS story live, in real time, at twitter.com — follow @CincyGLBT